On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:23:42PM +0200, Remy Bohmer wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:54:39PM +0200, Remy Bohmer wrote:
> >> I use the latest trunk version (8721) now and I noticed one thing:
> >> It seems that the target images are _always_ build from the ipk files
> >> in a temporary directory, and no longer from the tree in the
> >> <ptx-project>/root directory.
> > This has been so since ages.
>
> I always used 1.0.2, which worked that way, and 1.0.2 is not that old...

Nope, it definitely worked this way in 1.0.2 as well. 2.x extracts the
ipkgs into separate package dirs, that's new.

> The <ptx-project>/root seems not to be used anymore, why is it still
> generated?

You can use it to nfs-root boot your target board during development.
This way you don't always have to create images and flash them while
working on packages. There is also root-debug, to be used with a
debugger. So you can cross-debug against a stripped target while the
debugger sees all the right symbols in root-debug.

> I know how it works to create my own packages, hence the patches I
> posted earlier this week ;-) But, maybe converting it to a new package
> gives too much overhead. I have to look into it.

It's really easy and much more consistend, so I'd go this way.

By the way, I noticed that it looks like you've created some of your
packages by copy-paste; you can use 'ptxdist newpacket target' in a
rules/ directory, and it creates you a new package (with the latest and
greatest structure) on the fly.

> Previously there was a directory called projectroot that became part
> of the target images, maybe I should rebuild that option.  Otherwise I
> will find another solution how to solve this.

projectroot/ is still there, but the contents are not added
automatically. We want to have control over what goes into the image, so
write your own package in rules and install your local packages from
there. For things which are defined in a generic way in PTXdist but need
to be overwritten in a project, there is the $(install_alternative ...)
macro. It looks in the workspace/projectroot/ first and if it doesn't
find the file there it falls back to what comes with PTXdist.

rsc
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9