Hi,

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 01:39:30PM +0200, Marius Brehler wrote:
> at the moment ptxdist seems not to be able to generate an ext3 root image.
>
> It is possible to convert the ext2 image to an ext3 image. Therefor
> it is nessecary to run "tune2fs -j <image>" to create the journal
> and "fsck.ext3 -yf" to set the filesystem revision level from 0 to
> 1. The only problem is that your normaly need to be root to use
> tune2fs and fsck.ext3.

I don't think you need to be root. Usually you just need to be root because
only root can write to /dev/sd*.

> I'll have to write at least a small script for my own use, but it
> would be nicer to integrate it into ptxdist. If there is no problem
> with the need of root rights (sudo?) and you think it would be a
> nice feature for ptxdist, I will take a look on how to "adapt" the
> rules/post/image_ext2.make for ext3 image generation.

Adapt please, don't copy. I see no usecase where you need both (ext2 and
ext3) images.
Use a choise in the config and maybe add ext4 while you're at it:

tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index,has_journal <image>
e2fsck -yfDC0 <image>
(that's what openembedd is doing anyways)

Michael