On 03.09.21 17:36, Michael Olbrich wrote:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 08:37:27PM +0200, Felix Mellmann wrote:
Hi there,

I've just encountered a problem when using python3-lxml on PTXdist master
branch:

$ python3
Python 3.7.10 (default, Aug  1 2021, 00:00:00)
[GCC 10.2.1 20200822] on linux
from lxml import etree
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError:
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/lxml/etree.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so:
undefined symbol: xsltGetProfileInformation

The problem arises through libxslt which is configured using
"--without-profiler" since commit 1940c3 .

Removing this option again allows to at least import etree from lxml. I
haven't done any investigation whether lxml may crash again elsewhere.

Are there any concerns about removing that configuration option again?
You should probably change it to --with-profiler instead unless that's
broken. Otherwise, I have no objections.

Maybe Alexander had reasons to add "--without-profiler" without any configuration option. He added three more options within the same patch but left only this one fixed to "without".

So the compromise could be to add a new configuration option with default value of "n" and add this configuration option as a dependency to python3-lxml?

But as long as we don't know Alexander's reasons to do so, compiling with the profiler option could break something else.

Please add a comment about breaking python3-lxml at runtime, so we know in
the future why this was changed.

Michael