On 2015/07/09 11:30, Shane Stephens wrote:

    I wonder if this proposal is a little bit odd in that we have the
    following two cases:

    a) var anim = new CSSAnimation(...);
         anim.play();

    b) elem.style.animation = "...";
         var anim = elem.getAnimations()[0];
         elem.style.animation = "";
         anim.play();

    In (a), the priority of anim is based on when the ctor is called but in
    (b) the priority of anim is based on when play() is called.

    Would it be more consistent to say that the priority of all
    script-generated animations is based on their first transition from
    idle? And for repurposed CSS animations it is their first transition
    from idle after being disowned by CSS?

Yes, there would be more consistency between these two cases. I think
that consistency here is less important than simple ordering semantics
that are separable from playback, though. (As that's what started this
discussion, we've already covered this in some detail, but let me know
if you want me to make the case for why creation ordering is better than
play() ordering again)

I think that would be good. I'm afraid I can't quite remember why creation ordering is better or why this proposal is better. I'm not opposed to it but I'd like to give others a chance to check it over too.

Would you mind writing quick summary of the proposal with rationale for those who haven't been following this thread? (And to that end, starting a new thread might be better.)

Thanks!

Brian