The exchange between RR & AL is encouraging, and if RR's note about ballot
papers with only 4 squares marked with 6 candidates bring counted as formal
can be substantiated (recount?) it would be a great start. Where is this
case?

I'd also like to add my 2 cents worth:
1.    Any legal challenge to the existing system is doomed without wide
public attention, understanding, and support for those fighting the 2-party
state, and its AEC henchmen.
2.    By-elections, with their local media and protest voters, are most
obvious opportunities to get support (pity Biggles back-flipped!), specially
while the GST 'mandate' is topical (until June 1999)
3.    Newcastle has no coalition candidate, but a 'Kernot' coalition, with
tight preference swapping between Labor & Democrats.
4.    If Newcastle electors want to make their votes count against the
2-party state and Howard's 'mandate' for a GST, Bob Carr has effectively
told them a Labor vote or preference for a reps seat is wasted, so they'll
vote One Nation.
5.    One Nation preferences won't get distributed in Newcastle anyway, so
it would be pointless to ask its supporters to disenfranchise themselves.
6.    Jointly issued non-partisan advertisements at the next federal
by-election should be an economical alternative to a disputed returns
challenge to the existing system and Oct 3 results.
7.    If the above is before the 'republic' referendum, the results should
be used in a non-partisan campaign to publicise the constitution's
importance in protecting democracy against governments.

There's more but typing takes too long.  What about off-peak phone hook-ups?

Regards

Jim Stewart
phone/fax:  +617 3397 4420 (with Messagebank)
      mobile:      04 1427 4420 (with voice-mail)