        From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:  Tuesday, 27 October 1998 22:08
        To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:  RE: POLICY: Compulsory Preferential Voting

        Dumping CPV might seem the easiest road to take especially in NSW
and
        QLD where state electoral provisions providing for optional
preferential
        voting are coming under threat but it is at the heart of a crucial
        misunderstanding about the Neither! campaign.

        The media and politicians have always characterised Albert as being
        well known advocate of optional preferential voting, or as Nick
Minchin
        recently put it, an advocate of a defacto first past the post
system, or
        as exposing a loophole in the electoral act.   All of these
        characterisations  mask the real position which was put to the high
        court, namely, that if compulsory preferential, (often referred to
by
        the media and politicians as Full Preferential voting) requires one
        make a mark in every box ie place a number in every square,  that is
one
        thing, but when it is interpreted to require that people cast a
positive
        vote in favour of candidates they reject, then that is an entirely
        different matter  and obviously Ultra Vires.

        This is why AL said that your point re OPV missed the boat.

        What is more, he tried to get the High court to interpret s240 but
they
        would not.  When the High Court refused to rule on s240, it
eventually
        came to the attention of the Supreme court of Victoria and they were
        "forced to interpret" s240 ie the decision of justice Beach in 1996,
        where he  ruled that the legislation did require the use of
consecutive
        unrepeated numbers and it it this decision which is now enshrined as
the
        offending amendments to the Electoral Act.  (ie the repeal of s270
and
        the "tightening up" of 240)
        Regards
        Anita