One has to agree with the reported remark of Malcolm Jones: ""The rules
are the rules and if we got a lot of support I'm certainly not going to
be an apologist for it."

The perennial problem is that political parties make the rules for the
advantage of themselves and their ruling cliques, not for the interests
of democracy or responsible government.  The only way available to
counter their chicanery within the rules is to vote only for independents
and parties like The Greens which demonstrate participatory democracy (in
fact as well as in rhetoric).

I see no problem with a reduction in Upper House numbers, provided the
voting system is rendered more truly proportional (eg, abolishing one-box
voting for party lists, and introducing Robson rotation of lists on
ballot papers.)

If registration of parties is sought 12 months before an election, the
same excellent principle of stability should apply to registration of
candidates, and to party membership of those candidates. This would,
incidentally, militate against snap elections. Perhaps the deposits could
also be collected 12 months in advance - a great new revenue-producer!

For the 2000 party-membership qualifier to work properly, it would be
necessary for the membership to somehow be registered with the Electoral
Office. This good be a good thing.  It has been known for parties to
jealously conceal and overstate their membership, and even to have
hundreds of bogus members on their books. The Democrats were doing that
when I quit in 1993 (and were using the bogus membership to swing postal
ballots under the control of people with managerial power).

Brian Jenkins

Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website http://www.nettrek.com.au/~brian/