Dear Wolter,

I have taken a quick look at Ebner v The Official Trustee in Bankruptcy - HCA  63 (7 December 2000) and the 4th paragraph says: "The rule of necessity gives expression to the principle that the rules of natural justice cannot be invoked to frustrate the intended operation of a statute which sets up a tribunal and requires it to perform the statutory functions entrusted to it. Or, to put the matter another way, the statutory requirement that the tribunal perform the functions assigned to it must prevail over and displace the application of the rules of natural justice. Those rules may be excluded by statute. Twist v Randwick Municipal Council (10); Salemi v MacKellar (No 2) (11); FAI Insurances Ltd v Winnecke (12)".

Paragraph 54 says: "Having regard to the current state of the common law in Australia on the subject of disqualification for apprehended bias, we do not the submissions that there is a separate and free-standing rule of automatice disqualification which applies where a judge has a direct pecuniary interest, however small, in the outcome of the case over which the judge is presiding, etc...."

Wolter, please have a good read.

It smells a bit, to me.

Yours sincereley,

John Wilson.