Hi,

I think we all want to do the same thing: aligning vocabularies in order to enhance interoperability in the cloud. There is the top-down approach: aligning vocabularies first, and using the alignment to provide functionalities for the data. For example, if Google releases a dataset using their googlevocab ontology, we could use an alignment between it and FOAF to tell a link generator under which classes similar instances will be found. (advertisement: providing alignments is the task of the alignment server [1]). With this experiment we want to go in the other direction, from data to vocabularies. We take this path by looking at link generator specifications, what they need as input, and see in what degree it would be possible to abstract this input as a kind of ontology alignment. This could provide functionalities such as aggregation, composition and verification of links and alignment (see detailed description [2]).

Cheers
François

[1] http://aserv.inrialpes.fr/
[2] http://melinda.inrialpes.fr

Kingsley Idehen wrote:
Hugh Glaser wrote:
Hi,
To put it in simple terms for me :-)
Are you after the algorithms we use to identify when two instances are the same?
No, he isn't talking ABox.  He is talking TBox (data dictionary).

I posted a link about a simple mapper ontology for Google's RDF vocabs that basically prevent the innocent from using those terms
and ending up down a swamp (to put things as mildly as possible).

See: http://purl.org/NET/googlevocab#

UMBEL is about doing this on bigger and broader scales :-) That's always been the purpose of this project since inception.

Kingsley
Best
Hugh