On 12 June 2011 16:26, Richard Cyganiak <rich...@cyganiak.de> wrote:
> Hi Pat,

>>> They capture a part of the schema.org documentation: the “expected type” of
>>> each property. That part of the documentation would be lost. Conversely,
>>> nothing is gained by dropping them.
>>
>> Let me respectfully disagree. Range assertions (in RDFS or OWL) do *not*
>> capture the notion of "expected type". They state a strict actual type, and
>> cannot be consistently be "over-ridden" by some other information. Which has
>> the consequence that these are liable to be, quite often, plain flat wrong.
>> Which in turn has the consequence that there is something to be gained by
>> dropping them, to wit, internal consistency. They are not mere
>> documentation; they have strictly entailed consequences which many actual
>> reasoners can and will generate, and which to deny would be to violate the
>> RDFS specs. If you don't want these conclusions to be generated, don't make
>> the assertions that would sanction them.
>
> Data on the Web is messy. You cannot reason over it without filtering it
> first. I think it is useful to document how data publishers are *expected* to
> use these terms, even if we know that many will -- for good or bad reasons --
> use them in *unexpected* ways.
>
>> For documentation, use the structures provided in RDFS for documentation,
>> such as rdfs:comment.
>
> rdfs:comment is for prose. We explicitly know the “expected types” of
> properties, and I'd like to keep that information in a structured form rather
> than burying it in prose. As far as I can see, rdfs:range is the closest
> available term in W3C's data modeling toolkit, and it *is* correct as long as
> data publishers use the terms with the “expected type.”

I don't think it is that close to "expected type", or at least it's
kinda back to front. If we have -

:Colour a rdfs:Class .
:hasColour a rdf:Property .
:hasColour rdfs:range :Colour .

- and someone makes a statement

<#something> :hasColour <#wet> .

then we get

<#wet> a :Colour .

no?

so it's not an expectation thing, it's an inference that comes after
the fact...if you see what I mean.

As Pat suggested, I think this could easily lead to unintended conclusions.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name