On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Norman Gray <nor...@astro.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> Nathan, hello.
>
> It's NIR that's of interest to this discussion, but there's no way of
> indicating within HTTP that a resource is in that set [1], only that
> something is in IR.

The important distinction, I think, is not between one kind of
resource and another, but between the manner in which a URI comes to
be associated with a resource. Terminology is helpful, which is why
people have latched onto "NIR", and one possibility is "direct" (for
old-fashioned Web URIs) and "indirect" (for semweb / linked data),
applied not to resources but to URIs.

A direct URI always names an IR (in fact a particular one: the one at
that URI), but an indirect one can name either an NIR or an IR (as in
the http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/09/referential-use.html, and as
deployed at http://dx.doi.org/ ). HR14a says (in effect) all
retrieval-enabled hashless URIs are direct, but other rules (like Ian
Davis's) might say other things; the terms are useful independent of
the architecture.

There might be situations in which 'NIR' is a useful category, but I
don't know of any. If you say things like "303 implies NIR" (which is
not justified by httpRange-14 or anything else), you get into trouble
with indirectly named IRs like those at dx.doi.org.

One could adopt a new rule that says an indirect URI cannot name an
IR, in which case if you knew the IR/NIR classification you could know
which kind of URI you had to use and vice versa, but this seems
limiting, unnecessary, and incompatible.

Jonathan