 From: Antoine Isaac <ais...@few.vu.nl>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Sent: Tuesday, 25 June 2013, 17:49
Subject: Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical
     End User Applications

On 6/24/13 4:22 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 6/24/13 9:12 AM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

>>> Antoine,
>>>
>>> As you've indicated, there have been many attempts at this over the years
>>> and they never take-off or meet their goals etc.. The problem is that a
>>> different approach is required. Basically, in this scenario lies a simple
>>> Linked Data publication usecase i.e., a problem that Linked Data addresses.
>>>
>>> The steps:
>>>
>>> 1. use a Linked Data document to describe you product, service, platform,
>>> usecase
>>> 2. publish the document
> [...]
>> uncontrolled/outdated data out there), or it will fly only when thee
>> distributed descriptions are harvested and accessible through something like
>> Google/schema.org.
>> Btw people also want visibility. You don't say anything about step 3...
>
> You can sign documents. You can even sign claims. Even better, claims can be
> endorsed by others. These a issues naturally handled by Linked Data.
>
> Verifiable Identity and Trust are areas where Linked Data shines.
>

>> 2. It needs to be simple, as non-technical as possible. Step 1 is already
>> too much. Consider LD consumers, who don't publish any LD, why would you ask
>> them to publish an LD document?
>
> "simple" is subjective. There are many routes to the same destination here.
> For instance, some will happily craft Turtle by hand, others may do so using
> other concrete syntaxes. Of course, some would prefer an HTML5 form based
> interface too. The key is to be dexterous enough to handle profile variety.
>

>> Actually even in organization that publish LD having step 2 and 3 will take
>> some effort. Not much, I agree, but it won't be part of the core business,
>> and it will still need effort.
>> Consider the need to have an (i) updated version; an (ii) interoperable.
>
> It can be done, the problem has been that the approaches to date don't work
> and will never work. Thus, we need to try something different, one that's
> also a Linked Data dog-food exercise too.
>

>> Taking a concrete example: me (again, sorry!). A while ago I've made a
>> description of data.europeana.eu as a voiD file. Nice, but now I hear that
>> there's DCAT around and I should read the doc and update my file. Oh, and my
>> dataset has been also updated.
>
> There are even notification protocols that mesh nicely with Linked Data. Our
> problem is that there is too much fragmentation. Suggestions to tackle these
> issues via dog-food and "just do it!" patterns ultimately get lost is bizarre
> arguments rife with contradiction. If Linked Data is what is claims to be,
> then we can address these issues (collaboratively) via dog-food patterns.
>
>> And I've got no idea who will consume this updated file and whether it will
>> happen one day...
>
> The same thing applies to any content you put on the Web, you ultimately need
> an incentive to keep it up to date. The same thing applies to consumers too,
> they need an incentive to want to track etc..
>
>> And I've got a hell of other more urgent things to do. So anything that
>> won't be populated by a trivial adaptation of the blog post, which I've
>> already written, will have to wait for a while.
>
> Tweets and posts to other social media are effective mechanisms for
> discussion about data that aid discovery and curation. They can also be
> powerful incentive vectors.
>
> Links:
>
> 1. http://slidesha.re/Ys79Jn -- ontology life cycle presentation I gave to
> some ontologies earlier on this year (note: the presentation includes live

Hi Kingsley,

I'm sorry but all these leaves me with my practical issues on how to do it.
Your three points indeed hide a forest of technical / organizational questions.

http://dir.w3.org/ at least tells me how I should start. But of course in order
to fly it would need to be adapted, as Dave suggests, and supported by the
community!

Antoine