On 1 Aug 2013, at 05:15, Martin Hepp <martin.h...@ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Yesterday, Hewlett Packard has been granted a patent on "Policy Enforcement":
>
>       http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8498959.html
>       http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8498959.pdf
>
> As far as I can see, it heavily constrains the commercial exploitation of
> research done in the Semantic Web / Semantic Web Services community from
> 2001-2009.
>
> So if you worked on policies in the context of Semantic Web Services or
> Semantic Business Process Management before November 2009, it may be
> worthwhile to check whether the patent claims inventions that you can prove
> to have been prior art at that time.

[Note: This is not legal advice ]

If you read Claim#1 (the main claim) then it sounds like a "grid" version of
policy enforcement engine(s).
Very similar/same to what XACML does (1995) but distributed (which in itself is
not novel).
If Claim#1 is dubious, then all other claims depend on it.

[Note: This is not legal advice ]

Cheers...
Renato Iannella
Semantic Identity