Greetings.

There exists <http://www.siegfried-handschuh.net/pub/2007/salt_eswc2007.pdf>:

> SALT: Semantically Annotated LATEX Tudor Groza Siegfried Handschuh Hak Lae Kim
>
> Digital Enterprise Research Institute
> IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan
> Galway, Ireland
> {tudor.groza, siegfried.handschuh, haklae.kim}@deri.org
>
> ABSTRACT
>
> Machine-understandable data constitutes the basis for the Seman- tic Desktop.
> We provide in this paper means to author and annotate Semantic Documents on
> the Desktop. In our approach, the PDF file format is the basis for semantic
> documents, which store both a document and the related metadata in a single
> file. To achieve this we provide a framework, SALT that extends the Latex
> writ- ing environment and supports the creation of metadata for scien- tific
> publications. SALT lets the scientific author create metadata while putting
> together the content of a research paper. We discuss some of the requirements
> one has to meet when developing such an ontology-based writing environment
> and we describe a usage scenario.

That describes a very thorough approach to embedding some semantics within
LaTeX documents.

Yes, 'thorough'; very thorough; verging on the intimidating.

I dimly recall that there was a rather more lightweight approach which was used
for proceedings in ISWC or ESWC -- I remember marking up a LaTeX document in
something less comprehensive than SALT -- but I can't remember enough to be
able to re-find it.

All the best,

Norman

--