I may be completely missing the point of this discussion, but I don't see the point of this discussion :-)

What is represented by a URI is not defined by any convention or standard, and we shouldn't be trying to define it in this group. rdfs:type can tell us what the situation is at the moment we need to know it... and hoepefully the range of the rdfs:type is controlled by an ontology in which we specify whether we are talking about a gene instance (i.e. the gene in a particular patient) or a gene instance (a particular DNA sequence) or a gene instance (a functional unit of heredity) or a gene instance (a set of letters and numbers representing a functinal unit of heredity), etc etc etc... What constitutes an "instance" is in the eye of the beholder, surely...??

Excuse me if I am speaking out-of-turn, or simply missing the point entirely... it would't be the first time!

Cheers all!