Hi all,

some notes on the discussion of MAGE/FUGE/FUGO and RDF.

- I think that converting the whole MAGE or FUGE into RDF is hard in practice and maybe not so useful. The problems are:

- FUGE and MAGE are object models and should be reviewd in order to provide an OWL modelling. For instance the use of OntologyEntry as a pointer to an ontology term doesn't make much sense in OWL.

- FUGE/MAGE are used to represent huge quantities of data (an average MAGE-ML file is sized some hundreds MBs) and I am not sure that current technologies would support such requirement.

- Maybe only some aspects of a Functional Genomics models are really needed in the context of Semantic Web. For instance telling in RDF that an experiment has been performed to study a given disease would be useful, telling to the whole web the concentration value of the application of an extraction protocol maybe is more implementation specific.

- I am modelling something about microarrays, although my intent is not to convert MAGE and to face its degree of details. I am more interested in a less detailed knowledge representation about Microarrays, and in the management of the knowledge that is achieved from the study of Gene Expression.

Here an introduction about that:
http://gca.btbs.unimib.it/brandizi/mysite/phdintro

My latest version of the ontology (very draft actually), plus some notes about the user interface I am developing:

  http://gca.btbs.unimib.it/brandizi/mysite/phdv1

Cheers.

Marco Brandizi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://gca.btbs.unimib.it/brandizi