MW> I believe this SRV-redirection behaviour is part of the LSID spec, and
MW> we use it for all of the BioMOBY LSIDs...

It also uses NAPTR's as described in IETF RFC's 3401->3405 to traverse the URN namespace, allowing the dereferencing process to bridge the gap that separates authority name strings from service locations. From what I recall, the URN specs specifically do not permit names and locations to be confounded.

Kindest regards, Sean

--

Sean Martin
IBM Corp.