[Nicolas Novere comments on part of a recent proposal for BioPAX to be presented tomorrow: http://mumble.net/~alanr/cshl/URICV.htm]

On Jun 19, 2006, at 5:45 AM, Nicolas Le Novere wrote:
Regarding this problem, we should team-up because we already did
it. We bumped into the same problems for quantitative modelling, and
decided to use the same systems of unique URIs. See:

Yes, the problem pops up everywhere. See recent threads on public- semweb-lifesci

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2006May/ 0042.html http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2006Jun/ 0149.html

We are having a teleconference about this in (checks clock) 5 minutes. Details Here http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/ 2006-06-19_Conference_Call

Do consider joining the conversation.

There is also LSID to consider.

Do you have a specification of your web service available?

We should indeed all work together on this!

-Alan

Le Novère N., Finney A., Hucka M., Bhalla U., Campagne F., Collado- Vides J., Crampin E., Halstead M., Klipp E., Mendes P., Nielsen P., Sauro H., Shapiro B., Snoep J.L., Spence H.D., Wanner B.L. (2005) Minimum Information Requested In the Annotation of biochemical Models (MIRIAM). Nature Biotechnology, 23: 1509-1515.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nbt1156

The new version of SBML has a formal way of using those UIRs:
http://sbml.org/wiki/sbml-level-2-version-2.pdf
See section 6.

Since then, we have been developing a database to store those standard
URIs and all the related information (name, synonyms, URLs,
regular-expression to parse accession, associated documentation etc.)
We developed WebServices to access the database. Therefore when a tool
will parse an SBML file, it will be able to transform the URIs into
physical URLs etc. Conversely, a tool will be able to generate the
correct URI using the name of a resource and an accession.

The database is not publicly available yet, but we already use it for
BioModels Database purpose. Our plan is to release the whole lot by
the end of August. But we could put a demo online before that.

My suggestion is for BioPAX to use MIRIAM URIs. I see two great
advantages to that: 1) our aim being exactly the same, it would
eliminate some redundant work. 2) SBML and BioPAX constituents would
be annotated using the same URIs, making the conversion so easier.

What do-you think?