Me, too.

I'm on IRC, but no one else appears to have arrived, yet.

Cheers,
Bill

On Jan 8, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Kei Cheung wrote:

Hi All,

I tried to call the BioRDF conference, but I kept getting the message saying my access code "246733" was incorrect.

Thanks,

-Kei

William Bug wrote:

Hi All,

Here is one Use Case to review for today thanks to the efforts of my colleagues on the BIRN Ontology Task Force, Maryann Martone and Jessica Turner. It is representative of the low-hanging fruit approach we are taking - one where minimal ontology-based annotation on large data sets using a semantic framework covering specific neuroscience domains will help us to progressively add more utility to the BIRN infrastructure appropriate to meet the needs of the broadest range of neuroscientists. This is also a neuroimaging Use Case, so it should dovetail nicely with the discussion Daniel Rubin will be leading.

There are a considerable collection of Use Cases covering a wider range of topics from molecular data in mouse models to clinical assessments which we (the BIRN OTF) are now proceeding through to provide a sufficient amount of detail so as to help us more clearly define our semantic infrastructural requirements. I'll send more of these around later as they become available.

Cheers,
Bill

*BIRN Use Case #1:** **Locating specific types of functional neuroimaging data sets through the BIRN infrastructure* A researcher wants to examine all fMRI datasets where the subject is given a working memory task. Through the simple web interface, the user enters “fMRI data and working memory task”. The BIRN mediator searches the BIRNLex lexicon+ontology framework to find those behavioral paradigms listed under working memory tasks. The mediator then dispatches a distributed query to those data repositories which have been registered to it in search of fMRI data where subjects have been administered these tasks. In order to understand the results in context, the web interface provides the relevant portion of the hierarchy and indexes each result to the relevant term. The mediator in this case performs two essential functions: 1) it allows a query to be issued across multiple data resources without the need to query each one separately; 2) it utilizes the knowledge contained in BIRNLex to expand the query beyond the specified term to find data that is relevant to the query. This use case requires a level of deeper integration than simple keyword indexing of data sources can provide, because the user is asking for only those scans from subjects that were given a working memory test. Simple keyword descriptions of a resource do not provide adequate information for performing this type of query. For example, the current description of the data content of the fMRI Data Center (www.fmridc.org <http://www.fmridc.org>) includes the following:

anatomical / structural, behavioral.sensory performance.olfaction, neuroimaging.functional Keyword searching would be able to indicate the fMRI data center as one resource that might have relevant data but would not be able to return the specific data sets desired without the user performing an additional query and sorting through the results, weeding out all the false positives. The goal of the BIRN Infrastructure in this context is to provide enabling technology not only capable off-loading some of the more simple semantically-driven tasks normally carried out by an expert neuroscience investigator, but to also provide a general knowledge supplement to cover those sub-domains a given neuroscientist may not know in detail. This example demonstrates both such forms of cognitive augmentation. In providing a semantic framework to describe the general categories of behavioral protocol known to test working memory, an investigator knowledgeable in that field is saved the often tedious task of sorting through the results of a broad, keyword search for */working memory/*, whereas one less familiar with the field is able to identify the data sets of interest without prior knowledge of the specific behavioral paradigm tests. It also covers the fact many data sets will be annotated with the specific behavioral paradigm with no specific mention of */working memory/. *This works because the identified data repositories have been annotated using BIRNLex *and *the mediator is capable of using both the preferred terms and lexical variants as well as the underlying semantic graph to more efficiently identify the desired data sets.