From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: January 19, 2007 10:52:11 AM EST
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MRHIER and AUIs

William:

I think that was a very good non-techincal summary of some issues in the Metathesaurus that can be difficult and confusing. The nature and role of
AUIs (and their relationships to one another and to the CUIs that they
"realize") can require substantial thought.

I am always a little concerned when I see statements such as "In an ideal harmonious world, NLM and all sources would agree, and Meta would become
a single unified principled
ontology." I do not in fact think that this is necessarily true (under some reasonable constraints it is in fact provably false), and definitely
do not think it should be taken as a disideratum.  Perhaps you do not
either, but I wanted to take this opportunity to say that, particularly in
the context of evolving empirical scientific theories, we should not
expect (and not necessarily even strive for) such a unified ontology.
(There are, of course, those who would disagree.) The history of science
and the history of philosphy has shown the folly of this, and I would
argue that while striving for a certain "convergence" is desireable,
striving for the one true theory/ontology is not. That's something of a digression, but I take the strength of UMLS to lie in providing a way of "communicating between" and using mulitple disparate (at times mutually inconsistent) world views without imposing a strict ueber-ontology. Again, there are those who tend to find the lack of the ueber-ontology to leave
them feeling insecure and adrift in metaphysical ream of uncertainty.

As I expressed to Chris in separate communication, from my perspective (as
a very application-oriented user), UMLS provides a usually adequate
representation of "concepts" (via CUIs), and terms/words/linguistic items
(via SUIs, LUIs, etc.).  What it does not provide a particularly crisp
representation of at the moment is "things" -- e.g., diseases rather than disease names or disease concepts (that is, the extensional correlate of the (intensional) concept/CUI). AUIs are enlisted to support this to some
degree, but they are somewhat too closely allied to linguistic items
(terms) to carry the genuine semantic weight of "things" (extensions). At best, one ends up using sets of AUIs as equivalence classes to represent the thing to which each of the AUIs "refers" (though "refer" here is, I
think, a bit misleading).  So in terms of a classic thing/word/concept
semantic hierarchy, my feeling is that UMLS does a good job of the
word/concept part, but the thing part is left a bit "mushy".  However,
there is room for substantial debate here, and many of the issues are
unclear.

Largely this is a consequence of construing UMLS as a -- surprise --
meta*thesaurus* rather than a meta*ontology*, and focusing on meaning
relations (e.g., synonomy) rather than more fundamental semantic relations (e.g., denotation and extension). I do have some ideas of how this might be addressed, but won't even mention them here -- partly because working them out requires substantial thought and care, and partly because I'm not
altogether sure of what the benefit would be (to most UMLS users) to
retrofitting such an approach to UMLS.

------------------------------
Gary H. Merrill, Director
Semantic Technologies Group
Statistical and Quantitative Sciences
GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development
Research Triangle Park, NC
919.483.8456

Bill Bug

www.neuroterrain.org
Department of Neurobiology & Anatomy
Drexel University College of Medicine
2900 Queen Lane
Philadelphia, PA    19129
215 991 8430 (ph)
610 457 0443 (mobile)
215 843 9367 (fax)

Please Note: I now have a new email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]