On Jul 16, 2007, at 4:58 AM, Eric Jain wrote:

M. Scott Marshall wrote:
During data integration or "data reuse", we have to relate statements about 'biothings' to each other in order to be sure that we can properly use someone else's statements/data. In that case, it is extremely convenient if we have used the same identifier to refer to the same 'biothing'. We would also like our statements to remain true (based on the 'biothings' and their relations at the moment the statement was made, even if some aspect of the data evolves (physical storage location, new results, new relations, etc.).

For integrating "biothings", http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 should be perfect! The main discussion at the moment is how much of a benefit there is in having a PURL for a specific representation such as the web page for P12345, in addition to the PURL for the "biothing" P12345.

Im really only lurking here, but reading this, an obvious strategy seems to be to use PURLs for biothings and non-PURL URIs for Webbish things like Web pages. PURL for a Web page seems like overkill anyway.

Pat Hayes

I'll also add support for identifiers with version numbers, e.g. http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.2, which should resolve to http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345?version=2, though most of our data is not versioned, and there is no explicit syntax for versioning, either.

IHMC    (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola       (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502        (850)291 0667   mobile