Phillip Lord wrote:
To me it makes no sense to layer multi different protocols over a single
identifier. Imagine I get an URI like http://uniprot.org/P4543, it could
be

1) a meaningless concept identifier in an ontology
2) a URL which resolves to a pretty web page, via a single step process
3) a URL which always resolve to the same data 4) A URL which resolves to the current version of some spec like the W3C recommendation pages. 5) A URL which is meant to be considered to be a location independent ID. 6) What ever else we have decided to layer onto the same identifier scheme.

To me, it doesn't make any sense.
Does it make sense to you if our personal name is put like "Xiaoshu, male, dark hair, 5'8, email=..., address, etc., etc., Wang"? Because if so, I think we would be required to name ourself with our DNA string, which is still not enough since it doesn't have my birth time, place, alive-status....

Don't mistaken name/identifier as information. Then ask yourself what you want from a name? Then, a lot of sense will start coming to you.

Xiaoshu