I can't find any discussion of NCBI URLs from May 2006 (the 5/9/06 messages from you seem to be about something a bit more glorious) but the topic was raised at the 5/18/06 teleconference, which I didn't attend:
   http://www.w3.org/mid/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Olivier offered to help out, but there was no action item, so the issue was probably forgotten.

To be clear, I think NCBI created these URLs so that people could program against them with long-term assurance against 404 risk. They have nothing particularly to do with the semantic web. But there is no reason we can't piggyback, if the names suit our purposes (consistent, accessible, well-defined), or encourage NCBI to develop the idea a bit further, if they don't.

To answer Eric N's question, the paper I was looking at was "The Life Sciences Semantic Web is Full of Creeps!" published June 2006, but it doesn't give a direct link to view.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. I wanted to know what Mark was talking about regarding NCBI, and found the view site by searching Google for "ncbi stable url". Whether view.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov is what he meant is another story.

Jonathan