On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:41:37 -0700, Phillip Lord <phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

If I remember correctly the original post that started this of Ben has
it about right. We need some tags which say "these two database records
are about the same protein, well, sort of, at least in this case, for
the purposes of what I am doing".

I agree - the issue also came up at the BioHackathon last week... basically, as Tom Oinn phrased it, "if you're thinking of using owl:sameAs... don't!"

Another predicate is needed that is less "rigourous" - owl:kindOfLike  :-)

I think there is another, potentially more nefarious concern in the statement that Ben was objecting to in his post. The statement was:

http://www.uniprot.org/tissues/229 (subject)
http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#sameAs (predicate)
http://purl.uniprot.org/po/0009009 (object)

my concern is whether http://purl.uniprot.org/po/0009009 is intended to be a class, or intended to be an instance... since owl:sameAs is only supposed to be used to claim the "identicalness" of two individuals, not an individual to a class...

Oh what a tangled "Web" we weave!  ;-)

Mark D Wilkinson, PI Bioinformatics
Assistant Professor, Medical Genetics
The James Hogg iCAPTURE Centre for Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Research
Providence Heart + Lung Institute
University of British Columbia - St. Paul's Hospital
Vancouver, BC, Canada