There is interest in using RDF and OWL to support Semantic Web Services over the NHIN.

Anyone interested in helping can contact me.

Dan

On 3/12/2010 8:40 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
conor dowling wrote:

    > U.S.? (There's little here from what I can see - the
    interoperability push is around SOAP).

    In my view, SOAP is the wrong direction.  It is just adds
    complexity and
    contributes to "babelization":
    http://www.w3.org/2003/Talks/0717-semweb-dbooth/slide10-0.html

you're right but here's the rub - there's $'s in babel. Bad IT - translation layers and their maintenance - is good business, sometimes.

Take the U.S. NHIN CONNECT project whose laudable goal is to allow patient record exchange between institutions big and small. It tackles what's need - security, credentials, opt-in etc - and then ... well, it gets all SOAP'y. Gateways, adapters, layers, all those layers. What about a "web of interlinked data", just add security policy ...??

It's annoying because think how easy linking is - in reality and now, not just conceptually, some time away. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here but ...)

Take a patient vital - http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/120.5/716 (Christopher's blood pressure at a date). This record is typed by the VA vital type, http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/120.51/1 (blood pressure), one of 19 that the system records ( http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/120.51 ). Vital type is a "locked file" ( http://vista.caregraf.org/rambler/schema/120.51 ), one of many terminology files in VistA.

Now, on the face of it, such data is meaningless outside this VistA. We need a "mapping layer", an "RPC". A "type-mapper". A reformatter. Layers ...

BUT WE KNOW (on this group) that it is trival to do something like ...
                        :120.51/1 ---- same as -----> SNOMED:392570002
and heh presto, your vitals are "linked". Were Christopher lucky enough to end up in the Cleveland Clinic then this and his other data would be trivial to query - no longer site or even VA-specific.

And this isn't an isolated case. It's true in general. (I'm working on an "linked patient browser" - needs very little code - and this principle holds true for procedures, medicines, vaccines ...). The train is leaving the station on health records (in the U.S. 'meaningful use' is about to get nailed down) and they're made for the web of data but all we have are soap bubbles, all a drift ...
Is there going to be an RDF model based Linked Data View over this data? Or are you looking for help re. Linked Data publishing etc?