A few papers in this special issue in the Journal of Biomedical Informatics
(translating standards into practice) may be relevant for this discussion:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1532046412000962

Kind regards,
Lena

Helena F. Deus, PhD
Unit Leader, Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
helena.d...@deri.org
+353 91 495 270