I had some conversation with Grahame today on the ITS call, and I think I got a clearer idea of what he was suggesting for JSON-LD, which I'll summarize (with some liberties).

The basic idea is to allow two forms of JSON: brief and verbose. The brief form would basically be the same as the existing FHIR JSON (though possibly with a single @context at the top). The verbose form would also be the same *except* that it would have lots of @context statements interspersed throughout the nesting structure, to allow it to be processed as JSON-LD while differentiating between different uses of the same JSON properties. A simple standard script could expand the brief form to the verbose form prior to translating it to RDF. The @context statements would be allowed in either case (or maybe not -- either way would work), but if allowed they would be ignored by regular JSON processors if they were present.

The reason for interspersing lots of @context statements in the verbose JSON is to allow different uses of the same term to be differentiated by the term's position in the JSON hierarchy. For example, the following brief JSON uses "code" in two different ways:

{
  "resourceType": "Observation",
  "code": {
    "coding": [
      {
        "system": "http://loinc.org";,
        "code": "3141-9"
      }
    ]
  }
}

This might be represented in the verbose style by adding two @context statements that map "code" different, one for the Observation.code case and one for the Coding.code case:

{
  "@context": "http://...fhir/Observation";,
  "resourceType": "Observation",
  "code": {
    "coding": [
      {
        "@context": "http://...fhir/Coding";,
        "system": "http://loinc.org";,
        "code": "3141-9"
      }
    ]
  }
}

I believe Grahame originally suggested *replacing* the "resourceType" line with an @context line, but I think both lines will be needed in order to generate an RDF triple that indicates the resource type, since I don't think an @context can produce any implied triples.

Another choice point for this idea is whether to allow @context lines in the brief JSON. Two downsides of allowing them: (a) regular JSON processors would have to ignore them; and (b) it may be confusing to allow brief FHIR JSON to contain @context statements because someone putting it through a JSON-LD processor would generate the wrong RDF if it had not yet been fully expanded into the verbose version first. I think Grahame mentioned that there may also be a plus side but I've lost track of what was. Maybe Grahame can jump in to explain that. On the other hand, if @context lines are *not* allowed in the brief JSON then this approach is somewhat similar to using a custom mapping to RDF, though simpler to implement.

In short, this overall approach seems like a viable option that we should consider.

Thanks,
David Booth