On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:31:11 -0500, Ian Hickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

So I would hope that the spec says that not only is this implementation
defined but may differ depending on the actual network connection in
use....

I haven't actually looked at the spec,

(Why tell us?)

but, I would recommend something along the lines of:

MUST fire at zero bytes

Because you can't disambiguate the case of an unknown length transfer and a zero byte total transfer at zero bytes transferred, I am not sure what this buys you. And I am not sure why it MUST fire at zero anyway - although in many cases I
suspect that will be a useful point to fire and people will prefer
implementations that do that.

I don't think it MUST fire at all - authoring anything that relies on it doing so means breaking backpat for the sake of something that is really an optional extra, and since i don't see the gain yet I don't think it is a good idea to
open that path.

MUST fire again at the end, even if that is zero bytes

Agree with Jim on this.

SHOULD fire at least once every 500ms in between the above two events,
unless no progress has been made in that time.
SHOULD NOT fire more than once every 10ms.

I don't think we need to be so prescriptive about the timing. There are uses for knowing that no progress has been made, and for a wide range of frequencies (even wider than the range of 2-100 Hz that you are suggesting). Is there some reason
I am missing why that particular range makes special sense?

cheers

Chaals

[EMAIL PROTECTED] Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com