On Feb 19, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Robert Sayre wrote:

On Feb 19, 2008 1:50 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Probably the appropriate forum to make this proposal would be the IETF
HTTP Working Group. I'll join the appropriate mailing list if others
are interested in pursuing it there. In advance of this, we could
agree by convention on an unofficial "Connection: x-pipeline" value to
see how well this proposal works in practice.

Thoughts?

It's a good idea, but some proxies forward hop-by-hop headers. :(
See <http://www.mnot.net/blog/2007/06/20/proxy_caching>

That document mentions some proxies forwarding headers listed in "Connection", and some specific fixed hop-by-hop headers (Trailer, TE, Upgrade). But do any proxies actually forward the "Connection" header itself?

FWIW, the next Firefox beta will have pipelining enabled for https. I
won't be surprised if we hit bad bugs. Falling back to https in
combination with your proposed connection token might be a fine idea.

That would certainly remove the risk of mistaken forwarding of the "Connection" header.

Regards,
Maciej