Hi,

The Web API WG resolved yesterday to publish a Last Call Working Draft of The XMLHttpRequest Object specification. Thanks to the webmasters at the W3C it was published earlier today. Last Call comments can be made until 2 June 2008. (Please don't comment about the "befor" typo there. My mistake.)

The draft is located here:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-XMLHttpRequest-20080415/

This is a rough list of the changes since the last published draft:

  * Removed dependency on DOM Level 3 Events
  * Removed dependency on Window Object 1.0
    (we already depended on HTML 5 so we could use that instead)
  * Clearly marked which HTTP methods are to raise SECURITY_ERR
  * Mention HttpOnly in the security section
  * Accept-Language is set conditionally
  * Requests using a GET method will not have an entity body
  * responseText can no longer return null
  * responseText and responseXML no longer throw
  * Headers starting with Sec- will raise
  * getResponseHeader() will return null for invalid headers
  * getAllResponseHeaderS() returns empty string in case of failure

A more detailed log of these changes, including links to the actual text changes, is available from dev.w3.org, here:

  http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest/Overview.html

Happy times reviewing!

Kind regards,

--