Gavin Kistner wrote:
I find these names rather cumbersome and not very self-explanatory.

I agree.

Though it may be far too late for this suggestion, I would suggest that they should be something such as:

findNode()/findNodes() or findNode()/findAllNodes()
selectNode()/selectNodes() or selectNode()/selectAllNodes()
findBySelector()/findAllBySelector()

However, unfortunately, given the significant amount of prior discussion of this issue and the formal process which led to the selection of the current names; and the fact that we have implementations due to be released in upcoming versions of each of the 4 major browsers, changing the name at this stage is not possible.

Please let me know whether or not you are satisfied with this response.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/