On Apr 10, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

One clear problem identified despite these examples is that we do not have a precise enough spec for the query language to make truly independent interoperable implementations possible.

There are several different query languages that can be interoperably implemented - Lucene provides one example, and Couch DB is another. What makes you say that a truly interoperable implementation is not possible? Why does the query language have to be SQL?

It seems to me that significantly redesigning database storage is not necessary to address this. "X is underspecified so let's do Y or Z instead" is not a very strong argument in my opinion. Another issue raised is that a different database model (OODB for instance) may work better for content authors. I would say we do not have very compelling evidence yet that such a design would be better, or that it could meet the various requirements, and we do not even have a concrete strawman proposal that we could start evaluating.

Can someone state the various requirements for Web Storage? I did not find them enunciated anywhere.