On Apr 14, 2009, at 14:38, Marcos Caceres wrote:

I think it would be more productive to help us address the issues that you mentioned, instead of asking us to dump everything and start again.

So the issues were:
 1) The complexity of canonicalization/reserialization of XML.
 2) Spec dependency on XSD.
 3) Inability to use existing jar signing tools.

If you are already profiling XML signature a lot and are already using a detached signature file, it seems to me that you are one step away from optimizing away canonicalization:

Instead of canonicalizing the manifest XML and using XML signature, you could treat the manifest XML as a binary file and sign it the traditional way leaving a detached binary signature in the format customary for the signing cipher in the zip file. This would address issues #1 and #2.

But then if you are signing the XML manifest file the traditional way, you are a step away from using jar-compatible manifests. :-) This would address issue #3.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@iki.fi