On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:38:48 +0200, Jean-Claude Dufourd <jean-claude.dufo...@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:

2- the browser will have to resolve the relative URI to an absolute URI because of the DOM spec, hence a possible vulnerability by divulging private information (e.g. actual name of current user in file: URI example of Apple Dashboard widgets) to scripts running in the widget.
Marcos mentions the widget V2 spec and extensibility as one reason for adopting the proposed URI scheme. I would like to understand how V2 and extensibility could make the URI scheme either seen by the author or exchanged between implementations, or make its absence otherwise imperil implementations.
Thanks.

The main issue here, I think, is one of being proactive on this front. Given that absolute URIs are required for resolution, and that UA vendors will, unless specified, have to pick a URI scheme of their own, the situation may well arise where they have specified something that would either be insecure (eg. file:), incompatible ( again, file:) or inappropriate (all schemes that fail to make query strings and fragment identifiers useful)

--
Arve Bersvendsen