Everything in file:// is the same origin.  I think Mozilla has
been experimenting with changing this, but I can't remember how they handle
localStorage (if it's even different at all).

No. Everything on file:// has the origin defined by the origin serialization
algorithm.
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#origin
The spec tells "If scheme is "file", then the user agent may return a UA-specific
value."
In Opera's case we use file://machine/ where machine can be localhost, an ip,
or a remote computer with a shared folder.
If you're on a local network which cannot be fully trusted, accessing a page at
file://peer/ that manages to access your local harddrive is as serious as a
cross-domain attack, or even more.
So saying that everything on file has origin file:// is a misconception of the
problem origin tries to solve.