On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:47:27 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@opera.com> wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:47:42 +0200, João Eiras <jo...@opera.com> wrote:
Should be
   addEventListener("mediaChanged", listener, false);
There is already an event model, and it would just require a new event type.

A generic event is not a good idea in my opinion. The more media features we add the more often it will be dispatched. Authors may not anticipate that. Furthermore, dispatching a bunch of viewport resizing events when the author is only interested in orientation change would be waste.

There was a misunderstanding on my part.

My proposal, using addEventListener, is only for when media mode changes, like from screen to print.

The other proposed API calls the listeners when a specific media query applies (which can include orientation and device width) and therefore not being quite implementable performantly.

I would really like an event just for media change though, so we could deprecate onbeforeprint/onafterprint and therefore get a generic event that works for any media mode.

--

João Eiras
Core Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/