On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:45:04 +0200, Arun Ranganathan <a...@mozilla.com> wrote:
we design it in a generic way so that it also works for Stream objects?

This would be a good idea; this was noted as part of the issues [1].

Is your suggestion to have a generic method (with a better name) that takes Streams or Blobs as arguments? Do you have a suggestion for signature or method name?

I did not come further than createURL or createURLFromObject. However, if we get URL objects (or maybe WebURL to prevent clashes) tying it to that makes a lot of sense to me.

Otherwise we will get createStreamURL as well which seems kind of unnecessary. Maybe even better, can we somehow converge this with the URL specification Adam Barth was working on? So you can do new URL(Blob) rather than having more methods on Window?

OK, that's engineering for maximum use cases, but not a bad idea on the whole. However last I checked, the URL API was a proposal as a Google doc[2]. Does it live somewhere more permanent?

No, not yet, but I suspect it would not be a problem for Adam to make this into a Working Draft.

Implementations are already in circulation that have *.createBlobURL which leads me to:

Also, is there some kind of implementation summary available regarding the File API specifications? With what is shipping prefixed and what is shipping without a prefix? We are interested in supporting this too in the distant future.

No, but there should be. I think it's Firefox nightlies and Chromium nightlies for now. Firefox isn't using a prefix on the method.

I would prefer it if createBlobURL and co were prefixed. Everything else is probably stable enough.

-- A*
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0083.html [2] https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1r_VTFKApVOaNIkocrg0z-t7lZgzisTuGTXkdzAk4gLU&hl=en&pli=1#

--
Anne van Kesteren