On 10/29/10 12:15 AM, James Robinson wrote:
Are we talking about ArrayBuffer here or Blob?

The former.

It's never acceptable to block javascript on a synchronous disk access

Why?

Other questions to consider:

1) Why is it ok to block it on a synchronous disk access due to being paged in but not to block on a synchronous disk access due to reading a file descriptor? Or is the former not acceptable too?

2) Why is it ok to block on a synchronous disk access due to being paged in but not to block on a synchronous disk access due to having the backing store for your mmap moved from disk to RAM? Or is the latter acceptable?

But if we posit this, how author-hostile would an API that provides asynchronous access to the byte buffer, with a callback when it's available, be? Would you be willing to implement that in Chrome?

-Boris