On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:43:00 +0100, Arun Ranganathan <aranganat...@mozilla.com> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
Per http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#abort invoking abort()
always
results in events getting dispatched. This is not what happens in e.g.
Gecko at the moment. When the state is EMPTY the method simply
returns.

To be clear, what is the behavior you are prescribing? Chrome folks, what is the desired behavior for your implementation?

That when the state of the object is EMPTY the abort() method returns directly rather than dispatching a bunch of events as per the current specification. There are actually tests in the Mozilla repository that contradict the current specification.

The dispatching of events should probably also be defined in terms of
the event queue so it becomes more clear which are to be dispatched
synchronously, etc. Currently all those interactions are quite vague
in the File API specification.

OK, I agree that this could be better, and should be improved in a subsequent version (especially making clear synchronous dispatch). If you could be more specific about your nits, that would help as well.

What do you mean with subsequent version?

What I am basically saying is that for the events that are clearly not dispatched synchronously (e.g. reading from a Blob is an asynchronous operation) the specification ought to define this in terms of the HTML5 event loop model. Much like e.g. XMLHttpRequest and Web Workers do.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/