On 2/3/2011 10:36 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Charles Pritchard <ch...@visc.us <mailto:ch...@visc.us>> wrote:

    On 2/3/2011 9:39 PM, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:

        I'm not sure FileSystem is necessarily any trickier from a
        user's perspective -- it's all storage that is taking up space
        on my HD (at least, for now the filesystem is just a directory
        under the user's profile in Chrome). I think it fits fine in
        the unified quota model. (And FWIW we are looking at replacing
        the SQLite backend for Indexed DB in Chrome, so it's not
        generally safe to make such assumptions about how
        implementations currently work remaining the same as you have
        below ;-) Still though, as an end user or developer using the
        API, I really shouldn't have to care about such details.)

    Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you'll see good results replacing the
    backend.

    indexedDB can be more efficient than FileSystem.
    FileSystem is an API to the OS service, idb is not.

    There are no issues with idb keynames, innodes are not an issue:
    idb can be optimized for target platforms, which is good when
    the underlying file system is a bad match for the file sizes / dir
    lengths / file names.

    FileSystem is useful when you want OS-recognized files.
    It's great for moving files in and out of the browser sandbox; OS
    indexing services, and so on.

    That's been my experience:

    We're using file system, as we do want individual files to be show
    up to the OS,
    but for generated content, especially thumbnails of images, that
    data would be better
    stored in idb. Lots of small files which would be better stashed
    in a data store.

I'd rather not de-rail the thread, that said I am surprised you see this behaviour. It should be the exact opposite - we should be able to deliver much better performance from the filesystem api for binary data. Test cases where that's not the case are always welcome.

I was referring to directory listing and disk usage. small files can waste a lot of space on older file systems.
I mean to talk about the FileEntry -based APIs.

I'm not seeing behavior where idb is beating the filesystem api; I'd prefer to use idb, but the
sqlite implementation does not have an optimized large object store.