On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Travis Leithead
<travis.leith...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> (This time before the deadline :)
>
> Microsoft has the following additional feedback for this Last Call of Web
> Workers.
>
> We are concerned about the privacy implications we discovered when reviewing
> the current web workers editor's draft in its treatment of shared workers
> [1]. Specifically, the spec as currently written allows for 3rd party content
> to use shared workers to connect and share (broker) information between
> top-level domains as well as make resource requests on behalf of all
> connections. For example, a user may visit a site "A.com" which hosts a 3rd
> party iframe of domain "3rdParty.com" which initially creates a shared
> worker. Then, the user (from a different page/window) opens a web site
> "B.com" which also hosts a 3rd party iframe of domain "3rdParty.com", which
> (per the spec text below, and as confirmed several browser's implementations)
> should be able to connect to the same shared worker. The end user only sees
> domains "A.com" and "B.com" in his or her browser window, but can have
> information collected about those pages by way of the third party connected
> shared worker.
>
> Here's the relevant spec text:
>
> SharedWorker constructor steps:
> 7.5. "If name is not the empty string and there exists a
> SharedWorkerGlobalScope object whose closing flag is false, whose name
> attribute is exactly equal to name, and whose location attribute represents
> an absolute URL with the same origin as scriptURL, then let worker global
> scope be that SharedWorkerGlobalScope object."
>
> Given our current position on privacy and privacy technologies in IE9 [2], we
> will not be able to implement shared workers as described above.
>
> We believe it is appropriate to limit the scenarios in which connections to
> existing shared workers are allowed. We propose that connections should only
> be established to existing shared workers when *top-level* domains match
> (rather than when the "location attribute represents an absolute URL with the
> same origin as scriptURL). By limiting sharing to top-level domains, privacy
> decisions can be made on behalf of the top-level page (from the user's point
> of view) with scoped impact to the functionality of the 3rd party iframe.
>
> [1]
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/workers/#shared-workers-and-the-sharedworker-interface
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2011/track-privacy/papers/microsoft-bateman.pdf

Please correct me if I'm missing something, but I don't see any new
privacy-leak vectors here.  Without Shared Workers, 3rdparty.com can
just hold open a communication channel to its server and shuttle
information between the iframes on A.com and B.com that way.

~TJ