On Jun 23, 2011, at 20:17 , Scott Wilson wrote:
> I think the name "widgets" came from the heritage of Opera Widgets, Nokia
> Widgets, Apple Dashboard Widgets (etc).

Actually it came from a massive bikeshed discussion some time in 2006 IIRC; if
memory serves during a f2f hosted by AOL. A lot of options were floated but as
in all bikeshed discussions there was no winning argument, and the final name
was the one supported by whoever was still standing after everyone else decided
they didn't have the energy for such a discussion (I think it was Anne). It's
one of the (many) discussions that make me wish W3C would put together a black
box Bikeshed Coordination Group to which WGs would farm off such disagreements
and the decisions of which would be final :)

Doug and I had suggested WRAP: Web Resource Application Packaging. I still
think it's the best contender so long as Packaging for Interactive Multimedia
Presentations remains off the table. Certainly beats Pouah!