On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 20:19:42 +0200, Charles Pritchard <ch...@jumis.com> wrote:
There are various specifications that include terminology warnings as part of their reference to DOMCore.

Can we reduce the cost of including DOMCore references in basic APIs, by adding some kind of supporting text to the DOMCORE specification's extensibility section?

Example:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/
"The term DOM is used to refer to the API set made available to scripts in Web applications, and does not necessarily imply the existence of an actual Document object or of any other Node objects as defined in the DOM Core specifications. [DOMCORE]"

But it does not actually use the term "DOM" in the specification. Not sure why that text is needed there. XMLHttpRequest does not have it either.

If it's not appropriate to include in the DOMCORE spec, where could/should that repeated terminology be hosted? Should editors use the excerpt I've copied from postmsg as boilerplate on other specifications for which implementation of DOMCore sections 5 - 11 is irrelevant?

I agree we should clarify that the term "DOM" has a broader scope these days in the DOM specification and that its expansion is therefore somewhat historical. I expect this to become part of the introduction.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/