On 1/13/12 11:13 AM, Arun Ranganathan wrote:
On 1/12/12 12:53 PM, Arun Ranganathan wrote:

        Oh I'm glad to see this one! Is it Blob and File that can be
        put into IDB? How do I create a new File (with a name field)
        from a Blob?
        Charles: see the thread on making Blobs constructable --
        follow
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/0439.html

    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/0918.html

    Seems like the consensus was to stay away from Blob to File
    methods. FileEntry and [a download] being the heirs apparent.

Well, the consensus was to introduce a constructor to Blob, which I'm about to do :)

Sorry, I misread that thread; and misremembered it. I saw it as appending multiple strings.
I'm happy to see the Blob constructor happening!

        The File API specification should do a better job describing
        what happens to a File if the underlying resource changes.  We
        use the word immutable, but I think we have to make this
        substantially clearer.

    My take on a File object that's been modified is that the file no
    longer exists.
    "User agents MUST process reads on files that no longer exist at
    the time of read as errors"
    "A file may change on disk since the original file selection, thus
    resulting in an invalid read."

Just to be clear, "disappearing" a file from FileList might is the same as|

item(index)

|returning null for the the index'th item. Maybe this should be enforced as well for any kind of modification? This isn't what Fx does today.

I'm fine with that being the defined behavior for FileList when implementations have elected to remove modified files. It's still optional: implementations MAY remove modified files from the FileList, those that do MUST return null for the index'th item.

I'm hoping they don't go down that route. It may mean a disconnect between the results of submitting a post
and the files available to the scripting environment.

Again, I don't imagine that <input type="file"> and a subsequent .submit() would result in an empty POST when the user modifies the underlying file. Though it should do so if the user deletes or renames the underlying file. I suppose things could get nasty, though, if the user modifies the file while the post is happening. I don't want to think about those kind of race conditions. Hopefully the UA can put a temporary write lock on those files.

Well... I'm satisfied on this topic. I think we've incrementally improved what the File API will specify.

-Charles