On Mar 29, 2013, at 4:21 PM, Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net> wrote:

> Nice catch for this example you provide below.
> The "solution" to this issue would be to simply empty the script element
> instead of stripping it away. Right?

Unfortunately, that approach won't be backward compatible.  Also, it's somewhat
dangerous to leave an empty script element in the document.

> In your original mail, however, you write:
>> It would be great to mention what kind of manipulations user agents are
>> allowed to do to make the pasted content secure.
>

> I think this claim is exactly why Halvord has removed the sanitization
> section. It seems highly implementation dependent to decide on the security
> of a fragment of content.
> I feel the section on the sanitization should be expressed with "should"
> expressing recommendations such as that of emptying script elements or
> replacing object  or embed elements by a corresponding images.  I'm pretty
> sure conservative approaches will start by doing a similar replacement with
> video elements, for example, but might include them after some other
> introspection (e.g. that it is not pulling from a streaming source).

The section was removed due to lack of implementations.  I'm fine with not
having an explicit algorithm. However, there appears to be a significant
interoperability issue if we were to not define what user agents may or may not
do.

- R. Niwa