On Apr 11, 2013, at 10:59 AM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> Hello, TC39 peeps! I am happy to have you and your expertise here.
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock
> <al...@wirfs-brock.com> wrote:
>
>> This can all be expresses, but less clearly and concisely using ES3/5
>> syntax.  But since we are talking about a new HTML feature, I'd recommend
>> being the first major HTMLfeature to embrace ES6 class syntax.  The class
>> extension in ES6 are quite stable and quite easy to implement.  I'm pretty
>> sure they will begin appearing in browsers sometime in the next 6 months. If
>> webcomponents takes a dependency upon them, it would probably further speed
>> up their implementation.
>
> We simply can't do this :-\ I see the advantages, but the drawbacks of
> tangled timelines and just plain not being able to polyfill custom
> elements are overwhelming. Right now, there are at least two thriving
> polyfills for custom elements
> (https://github.com/toolkitchen/CustomElements and
> https://github.com/mozilla/web-components), and they contribute
> greatly by both informing the spec development and evangelizing the
> concepts with web developers.
>
> To state simply: We must have support both ES3/5 and ES6 for custom elements.
>
> :DG<

ES6 classes can be pollyfilled:

  class Sub extends Super {
      constructor() {/*constructor body */ }
      method1 () {}
      static method2 {}
  }

is:

 function Sub() {/*constructor body */ }
 Sub.__proto__ = Super;
 Sub.prototype = Object.create(Super.prototype);
 Sub.prototype.method1 = function method1() {};
 Sub.method2 = function method2 () {};

Allen