On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglaz...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 6:17 AM, Marcos Caceres <w...@marcosc.com> wrote:
>> Hi Kornel,
>> Although I have complete empathy about your criticisms regarding JSON, it is
>> actually quite fit for this purpose. Using HTML in the way you describe is
>> kinda problematic, in that it could include scripts and other resources:
>> basically, one would need to build a DOM to parse out the information - and
>> even if scripts where not run, or resources loaded, one would still then
>> need to make a special HTML just for this purpose (which would confuse
>> people, as if you use HTML you expect to be able to have access to features
>> of the platform). We are going to need a custom processor for the JSON
>> format, but at least parsing is already done for us (as it was with XML,
>> though sadly it seems that devs prefer JSON).
>
> FWIW, I tend to think that Kornel is hitting on something here.
> Whether we want it or not, HTML is the Web's serialization format.
> It's the one that helps us understand where hyperlinks are and how
> resources are interconnected. Having a manifest in that format sounds
> like a Good Thing.

HTML is the Web's serialization format *for HTML, and other text-like
things*.  As Kornel's example shows, HTML is *not* well suited to
holding key/value pairs or the like; you have to hack them in via ugly
HTML, because <meta>/<link> *is all you're doing*.

This is quite different from Templates, because those are actually
leveraging HTML, and so using HTML as the delivery format as well just
reduces impedance mismatch.  I don't think that applies here.  JSON is
the way the web does key/value transmission.

~TJ