> On Feb 4, 2015, at 9:05 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 February 2015 at 16:51, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@apple.com
> <mailto:rn...@apple.com>> wrote:
> <my-custom-formatter><input></my-custom-formatter>
>
> I think if this worked. i.e. hid the styling and allowed styling over top,
> while allowing access to the input functionality would be a good solution for
> the many many instances of native controls being remade as custom controls
> simply to be able to control style.
>
> I made a simple example of using <canvas> to host a checkbox, as an
> experiment:
> http://codepen.io/stevef/pen/OPxvZX <http://codepen.io/stevef/pen/OPxvZX>
>
> note: am not saying <canvas> is a solution, like is= it provides the ability
> to make use of built in features of native controls. which is the outcome I
> would like to see baked into web components.

Right.  As I mentioned earlier, shadow DOM or decorator is what provides the
styling-over-top capability.  And I assure you, Anne and everyone else at each
browser vendor is interested in solving that problem.

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 9:41 AM, Chris Bateman <chrisb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I had noted in that post that wrapping a native element with a custom
> element was an option - only drawback is that the markup isn't as terse
> (which is generally advertised as one of the selling points of Custom
> Elements). But that doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me, if subclassing
> needs to be postponed.

Great to hear!  We should make sure custom elements accommodates this
composition pattern then.

- R. Niwa