HPKP is vulnerable, look at 
https://www.heise.de/security/artikel/Wachsende-Kritik-an-Public-Key-Pinning-fuer-HTTPS-3324703.html
 (you may use Google Translator) from second headline

Von: Public <[email protected]> im Auftrag von Ryan Sleevi via Public 
<[email protected]>
Antworten an: CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <[email protected]>
Datum: Freitag, 7. April 2017 um 16:16
An: Bruce Morton <[email protected]>
Cc: Ryan Sleevi <[email protected]>, CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List 
<[email protected]>
Betreff: Re: [cabfpub] [EXTERNAL] Brazilian bank DNS heist



On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Bruce Morton 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> 
wrote:
Sorry I missed that, but isn’t pinning high risk? I don’t think that any CA 
would recommend pinning as it is unsupportable; we can’t do anything when it 
fails. I think Subscribers should review pinning before deploying, 
https://blog.qualys.com/ssllabs/2016/09/06/is-http-public-key-pinning-dead.

For what it's worth, many of the complaints in that blog relate to CAs lack of 
disclosure related to their infrastructure - that's what creates the risks. So 
if CAs were more technically savvy, and worked to help understand their 
customers needs, it's very much viable.

I think the value of EV is that those certificates are not issued to attackers. 
So it would be great if a Subscriber could state that their site only uses EV 
and that the browser respected that statement.

And customers have that capability - if CAs, particularly their CA, is 
technically capable and/or transparent. The browser manufacturers have already 
give you that capability, if you chose to use it.

I also think that this statement might be better to be put in the HSTS header. 
HSTS is low risk, EV is highly available and stating EV-only would be 
applicable to most CAs. This allows the Subscriber to move from one CA to 
another without bricking their site by pinning to a root or intermediate.

I disagree, and was pointing out how you can already accomplish this without 
requiring new features that accomplish the same as existing features =)

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME cryptographic signature

_______________________________________________
Public mailing list
[email protected]
https://cabforum.org/mailman/listinfo/public

Reply via email to