>> With publisher supplied item ids there is always a possibility for id
>> clashes and currently it is defined that an id clash results in
>> overwrite, this might not always be the best solution, indeed in our
>> system it is not accetable to have clashing ids.
>
>Just curious: do you really need to configure this on a per-node basis?
>It seems to me more like a service-wide policy in your system.

We already use it on a pr. node basis in the system, though the way we use it
could be setup in a different way if it was instead implemented as "disallow
same id" or something, with a boolean, setting this would both require that an
ID is set in the publish and check that it is not the same as an existing. With
an addition to queueing, that we have a timeout value that ensures that an ID
is not the same as a previous but now retracted node for the past X seconds.

The "generate new" is perhaps not very useful, setting IDs usually means they
have some significance as another noted.

So, new implementation.

pubsub#disallow_same_id boolean.
If set to true, will refuse to publish item with same id. And will require that
published items HAVE id set.
if set to false, will allow overwrite.

Or should it be tri-state, in setting it to either value will require id set be
set, and setting it to "empty" <value/> will not?

-- Mads